SWFL nonprofits & charities are getting ready for #GivingTuesday
Press Release Nov 12th, 2015 by Robin DeMattia
Local Non-Profits Make #GivingTuesday Plans
NAPLES (Nov. 12) – Twelve business members of Tech4Good SWFL, a club comprised of staff and volunteers at non-profit organizations who meet to learn about using technology to improve the performance of their businesses, announce their individual and group plans to celebrate the 4th annual #GivingTuesday on Tuesday, Dec. 1.
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Observed on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many organizations focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
“#GivingTuesday celebrates and encourages giving, including money and volunteer time, and draws awareness to the activities and needs of non-profits,” said Birgit Pauli-Haack, an organizer of Tech4Good SWFL and owner of Pauli Systems, a web and mobile programming firm. “Thirty percent of online donations to non-profit organizations are made during December. So, #GivingTuesday is an important way to bring attention to the ways individuals can support these community organizations.”
The general public can learn more about local non-profit organizations’ plans at http://tech4goodswfl.org/swflgives. They can also follow #SWFLGives and #GivingTuesday to see information in advance and get live updates during #GivingTuesday on Dec. 1.
Below are #GivingTuesday plans by some Tech4Good SWFL members.
- American Cancer Society (#Give2AmericanCancer) is actively participating to help make #GivingTuesday a new tradition. The organization invites members of the public to spread the word and also donate to the American Cancer Society on Dec. 1st.
- Boys & Girls Club of Collier County invites people to stop by for special tours.
- CREW Land & Water Trust has a “Donations FUND Discovery” theme for its online donations request on #GivingTuesday.
- Early Learning Coalition of Southwest Florida will hold a Twitter campaign aimed at recruiting volunteers for the coalition’s Literacy Buddy Program.
- Everglades Wonder Gardens encourages online donations and is offering a volunteer opportunities presentation during #GivingTuesday at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 1 to learn how to support the plants, animals, education, events, administrative and other activities at the Wonder Gardens. RSVP for the volunteer presentation requested to email@example.com. Presentation will be held in the lobby and does not include admission.
- Hope for Haiti is promoting #GivingTuesday on its social media pages, and is sending its donors a video through an e-gram blast.
- Lee Memorial Health System encourages individuals to make online donations and to create a fundraising page and spread awareness of the LMHS cause to their friends, family and community. Their other ideas include having a store donate a portion of sales from Dec. 1 and for employers to match employees’ donations to LMHS.
- Lighthouse of Collier will be celebrating the day on its Facebook page.
- Naples Music Club is requesting $40 donations that will provide a music lesson to the more than 60 students ages 11-18 supported by the organization.
- NPTechProjects, a newly from non-profit organization that helps other nonprofits with their data and project management as well as their digital marketing, plans to amplify other organizations’ #GivingTuesday activities via Twitter, including #BetterTogether, and Instagram.
- Project HELP is requesting online financial contributions as well as donations of blank journals for survivors to use as they progress along their healing journey. Written, or expressive, therapy helps victims of crime and sudden loss express their emotions. Journals can be delivered or mailed to Project HELP, 3123 Terrace Ave., Naples, FL 34104.
- Teddy Bears for the Troops will showcase military members posing with their teddy bears on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- To be part of this group, apply via this Application Form online.
- The most current list of #SWFLGives organizations is published here
web & mobile developer for business and nonprofits in Naples, Florida. WordPress Meetup SWFL organizer, Netsquared organizer, #nptech, photographer.
Works at Pauli Systems, Naples , FL (project manager for Enterprise WordPress and CiviCRM implementations, custom API integrations) , volunteer at NPTechProjects providing nonprofit technology support and education in Florida and deputy on WordPress Global Community Team.