Recap and Resources: Prepare for #GivingTuesday – Checklist, Ideas, Guides, free online webinars for nonprofits, and more!
We are #T4GSWFL #GivingTuesday
Left to right: Carly Gibbs, Duke Vasey, Bobby Escalante, Birgit Pauli-Haack, Mark Benson, Jessi Drummond, Michelle Finigan, Jane Hess – Had to leave early: Martin Cohn, Marc Smolec and Bart B. – Photographer: James McDonald
#GivingTuesday, a national day of giving on the heels of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. In its third year, the #GivingTuesday movement united nearly 30,000 corporate and nonprofit partners in the U.S. and around the world. (92Y)
Results of Collaborative Exploring (Brainstorming):
TASK: “ What activities leading up to GivingTuesday or on GivingTuesday can you do to get your supporters, donors, beneficiaries, and peers promoting giving to your organization? “
Group #1 Michelle Finnigan, Duke Vasey, Jane Hess
Jane Hess writes: The Early Learning Coalition of SWFL provides many services that are not noticed by the public. But there is one program, the Literacy Buddy Program, that has unlimited potential for visual outreach. Three times a year, an adult Buddy and a 3 or 4-year old in a child care setting exchange letters. Based on what the child writes (or draws), his adult Buddy sends that child a book. The books belong to that child and are often the first a child actually owns.
Our Coalition is new to social media campaigns. With the help of the Tech4Good group, I developed a #GivingTuesday plan that may reach across Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. It involves a person standing with a sign and/or holding a book that will read something like: I’m a Literacy Buddy! @ELC SWFL #givingtuesday, elcofswfl.org…etc. I took this idea to our CEO and she immediately thought it was a great social media campaign that would increase our volunteer base, may result in an increase in book donations and heighten awareness of the Literacy Buddy program. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Group #2; Mark, Jessi, Carly, Bobbie, summarized by James McDonald.
- Use Hootsuite or SocialOomph to schedule regular promotions weekly between now and GivingTuesday
- Create a “One Click” *giving page which is provided as a landing page link in all promotions
- Have all of the information about GivingTuesday and your organization on that one page
- Link that page to all pages on your website
- Include that link in all correspondence
- Add a signature line to your emails that promote Giving Tuesday and provide the giving page link
- Ask all donors, volunteers, board members, email list, etc., to add the signature line to their emails
- Contact your sponsors and ask them to support your campaign by placards (provided by you) in their place of business and ask if they would put a link (it could be for all of the non-profits organizations that they support
) on their website to your landing page
- Include GivingTuesday in eNewsletters and all appropriate correspondence
- Include reminders and the Giving Tuesday date in Volunteer Calendars
- Establish the focus of your GivingTuesday (e.g.;
- for education
- provide books to children,
- build community involvement,
- provide a new service,
- purchase a needed piece of equipment, etc.)
- Notify leadership and volunteers of the program and the focus and intention of how your organization will be promoting GivingTuesday
- Try to find a “Gift Matching” donor
- Tier giving opportunities (e.g.; contributor, donor, benefactor — walker, hiker, mountain climber, conqueror )
- Solicit more than dollars – volunteer hours, books, etc.
- Visually represent giving goals and progress. Thermometer, circle graph, bar graph, etc.
- In Thank you Note after a gift or pledge, in include an ask for promotion and have a row of Social Media share links for the giver to use in order to share your message
*If you can’t add a specific page to your web site the create a Google Sites page and use that for your campaign http://www.google.com/sites/overview.html
- GivingTuesday > Tools
- #GivingTuesday Resources for Nonprofits & Charities (American Charities)
- GivingDay Play Book by KnightsFoundation
SlideShow w/ links to NTEN & Techsoup / Netsquared News
Webinars on #GivingTuesday & Fundraising & Social Networks
#GivingTuesday happens on the social networks and many nonprofits use it as a starting point to experiement with Social Networks and create their online ambassadors program.I included some of the social media related online events as well.
Sep 03, 2015 2PM Top 10 Tactical Tips for GivingTuesday
Techsoup / Webinar / Fee: Free
This year, how do you take advantage of this day of giving? The challenge is using the right tactics to drive awareness and donations to your campaign.
In this free online webinar, you’ll learn ten proven tactics that can make your #GivingTuesday campaign a success. You’ll hear from our partner organization, CauseVox , on #GivingTuesday best practices and tactical tips that you can implement for your campaign this fall.
Rob Wu is the CEO of CauseVox, a leading crowdfunding platform for nonprofits and social good projects. Rob has raised over $200,000 for his own social good crowdfunding projects, and his work has been recognized by the New York Times, CNN, Forbes, and Wall Street Journal.
Sep 09, 2015 1PM How to Get Your Nonprofit Ready for Giving Tuesday
CharityHowto / Webinar / Fee: Free
Here’s What You’ll Learn in This Nonprofit Webinar:
- A brief snapshot of Giving Tuesday 2014 results
- 4 case studies of nonprofits (large and small) that ran successful Giving Tuesday campaigns, including examples of emails and Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts
- Tips for integrating Giving Tuesday into your year-end giving
- Collection of helpful Giving Tuesday resources and toolkits to explore
Presented by Kerri Karvetski, owner of Company K Media. Kerri helps nonprofits and social benefit companies communicate online. Strategist, campaigner, copy writer and trainer, Kerri helps clients such as Amnesty International USA and American Heart Association reach out to supporters in ways that deeply resonate. Nonprofit marketing agencies such as Red Engine Digital turn to her for online copy that is crisp, clear and compelling. Groups such as CharityHowTo call on her for practical, useful training in online communications and social media. Kerri is a youth soccer coach and an aspiring baker and vegetable gardener. She lives in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with her husband and two children.
Sep 15, 2015 1PM The Science of Social Networks: 10 Tips and Tricks Practices for NGOs
On Good / Webinar / Fee: Free
More than a decade into the Social Web, social scientists have had ample time to study how, when, and why online individuals engage with NGOs on social networks – yet most NGOs are not aware of the scientific data about online social network behavior. Once this data is learned, however, NGOs can significantly improve their use of social networks for online fundraising and increasing cause awareness and brand recognition. Based on the science of social networks, this webinar will feature the top ten tips and tricks to maximize engagement on social networks. Topics include:
- Share content on Facebook to maximize likes, comments, and shares
- When and how often to post on Facebook
- Format the perfect tweet to maximize retweets
- When and how often to tweet
- The basics for effectively sharing content on LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, and Instagram
Sep 24, 2015 2PM Ask The Expert: Planning Successful Fundraising Campaigns
NTEN / Webinar / Fee: Free For NTEN members only
Among others , with Kait Sheridan, Director of Partnerships & Programs for the Center for Innovation & Social Impact at 92Y, Kait helps to develop and scale innovative programming across all of 92Y¹s multi-disciplinary areas, among others #GivingTuesday.
Wait, how is it already time to start your preparing your year-end fundraising campaign? Don’t worry: your annual campaign doesn’t have to be a last-minute panic. Our experts will explore how you can set the stage for your fundraising success with smart planning, an integrated effort, and a dose of creativity. We’ll discuss how you can integrate #GivingTuesday into your campaign plans, and how to look beyond fundraising dollars to cultivate and engage your supporters.
- Best practices for executing a successful fundraising campaign
- Strategies for engaging your supporters before, during, and after the campaign
- How to incorporate #GivingTuesday as a strategic piece of your campaign strategy
- Simple tools and resources to measure, evaluate, and share your impact
For a list of 30+ Webinars and other online event go to this page and schedule you own month of learning.
Upcoming Meetings locally on Social Media
- WordPress Meetup SWFL: September 24 at 6pm Social Media and Your Website
- Tech4Good SWFL: October 6 at 6pm topic Social Media Surgery: Back to the basics and One-on-One sessions.
Thank you to all our sponsors:
- NTEN – Nonprofit Technology Network
- Netsquared – a program by Techsoup Global
- Relevanza – strategic. innovative.communication
- Vanderbilt Presbyterian Church, Naples
web & mobile developer for business and nonprofits in Naples, Florida. WordPress Meetup SWFL organizer, Netsquared organizer, #nptech, photographer.
Works at Pauli Systems, Naples , FL (project manager for Enterprise WordPress and CiviCRM implementations, custom API integrations) , volunteer at NPTechProjects providing nonprofit technology support and education in Florida and deputy on WordPress Global Community Team.